Volunteer With Second Chances Wildlife
We depend on volunteer team for all aspects of running a successful charity organization. While we do not always have openings for our animal care team, there are many other ways that your time and talents would be useful: picking up and transporting animals, enclosure maintenance, grounds maintenance, working a booth at festivals and farmers markets, and contacting businesses and schools. If you have some teaching experience, we’d love to have you on our education team! These aspects are every bit as important as taking direct care of our animals. If caring for the animals, volunteers are asked to commit to certain regular days and times each week and it is crucial that these mutually arranged times are kept. Shifts are at 8AM, 12PM, 4PM, and 7PM. Each shift takes an average of 3 hours. Besides our college interns, we do not train anyone unless they can commit to at least six months of regular volunteer hours. We ask that you commit to all training requirements.
Please note that if you 18 years or older and are interested in becoming an animal care team member, there are a few things you should know first:
- We do not play with nor handle our animals unless we have to do so.
- There is always a risk of being bit and some animals’ teeth are very impressive.
- There is always a risk of disease and parasites.
- Cleaning cages is a big part of our day. It is far from glamorous.
- You need to have regular access to email (for communication purposes).
- You need to be able to regularly go up & down stairs, walk on even terrain outside up & down slight hills.
- You need to be able to lift 30 pounds.
- You need to have reliable transportation.
- You need to show proof of tetanus in the last 10 years.
- Pre rabies vaccines are HIGHLY recommended.
- You will need to read, listen, and follow important instruction yet work independently.
- You will need to respect and adhere to all safety protocols and risk management initiatives.
We are also in need of PR/fundraiser volunteers. This is an important role with us!
If you are interested in becoming part of our team, please complete the application and return to the address listed on it. We look forward to hearing from you!
Volunteer Application (Word Document, right click and select “Save target as”)
College Internships are available during the summer. Click here for details.
Volunteers are not paid, not because they are not worthless, but because they are priceless.
Volunteers do not necessarily have the time: they have the heart.